September 2015 Letter
The psalms are deep spiritual experiences that the holy people of God have sung. The power of the psalms is in repeating the Name of The Lord, and also as its prayers include all requests that we may have, and are suitable in every spiritual and emotional conditions of man. We here present some examples of psalms that can be prayed in our various conditions:
- For repentance: “O Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger, Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled …” (Psalm 6).
- In stress and dismay: “In my distress I cried to the Lord, And He heard me. Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips And from a deceitful tongue …” (Psalm 120).
- In asking for God’s help and support: “Make haste, O God, to deliver me! Make haste to help me, O Lord! Let them be ashamed and confounded Who seek my life; Let them be turned back and confused Who desire my hurt …” (Psalm 70).
- Beseeching God to listen to our prayers and requests: “Bow down Your ear, O Lord, hear me; For I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am holy; You are my God; Save Your servant who trusts in You! Be merciful to me, O Lord, For I cry to You all day long. Rejoice the soul of Your servant, For to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You …” (Psalm 86).
- When others are persecuting us: “The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked came against me To eat up my flesh, My enemies and foes, They stumbled and fell …” (Psalm 27).
- For praising the Lord when we experience His help and support: “I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies …” (Psalm 18).
- Giving thanks to the Lord and praising Him: “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; The humble shall hear of it and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, And let us exalt His name together …” (Psalm 34).
- On the way to church: “I was glad when they said to me, Let us go into the house of the Lord. Our feet have been standing Within your gates, O Jerusalem! …” (Psalm 122).
As for the church news, the Annual Church Festival will take place on: September 26 & 27, and the following weekend: October 3 & 4. We look forward for your presence and participation.
May the blessings of St. Mary & St. Mercurius, all the martyrs & saints be with us all. Amen.
Fr. Youssef Halim & Fr. Luke Istafanous
Belleville, September 1, 2015