March 2019 Letter
On March 6 we celebrate the departure of the saint Pope Kyrollos VI. Although he wasn’t famous for delivering sermons, yet his advises and letters are a school to learn many spiritual lessons & principals. For our benefit let’s review some of his valuable & practical spiritual advises:
- Do all your best to go to church on Sunday at the beginning of liturgy, don’t be late. Ask diligently during liturgy for all your needs, as this is the accepted time. This is when the doors of heaven open, when Christ is present offering His body & blood for us to eat and live & gain forgiveness of our sins.
- Prayer can do all things, for it moves the Hand that manages the whole universe.
- During the Divine Liturgy, stand humbly. Do not just listen to sweet voices. Remember you are standing before the Lord, and he expects you to ask him for grace and blessings of which he will give you freely.
- Dear friend, believe that God cares more about you than you do, ask and you will find Him.
- When you are battled with evil thoughts whatever they are, don’t question their source or waste your effort defending your intentions, as Satan is like a mad man who throws people with stones, don’t stand in front of him as he may hurt you, just leave and condemn the thought in the name of the Lord Jesus.
- A heart that is busy with the name of the Lord Jesus doesn’t sin….and if it does, the name of the Lord Jesus will give compassion and healing.
- Reverence Friday as it is the day of crucifixion, and Sunday as it is the day of resurrection. Keep your Friday in fasting as much as you can and Sunday in the joy of resurrection.
- Do the sign of the cross slowly as the Lord Jesus Himself is doing the cross sign on you. The holy cross is the seal of the King, the Lord Himself carries it & is glad with those who do it on themselves.
- Every fear reveals to us that we are not completely trusting or loving.
- Nothing here can make me sad or annoyed as I am sheltered in the fortressed fortress, in the safe harbor, resting in the bosom of the mercies, winning the spring of compassion.
- Dear brother, the first important thing is to be aware of anger, in the state of anger you can say harsh words, this is warfare from Satan who uses anger, he wants you to lose your peace and stray away from the grace of God.
- Begin fighting against old habits to eliminate them one by one. Start a war against lying, fight against oaths [swearing], drive out slander and so on, one by one until you conquer, by the grace of Jesus, all bad habits and become a new man.
- Forgive the mistakes of others like your master and savior.
- Through my experience, teaching is not by words, the true learning comes from the example and good role model.
May the blessings of St. Mary & St. Mercurius & the St. Pope Kyrollos be with us all.