july 2007 letter
The month of Abib starts on the 8th of July, and is known for commemorating many of our famous and beloved saints, we remember of them:
1) 3rd of Abib (10th of July): the departure of St. Kyrillos (Cyril) the First, the twenty fourth Pope of Alexandria.
2) 5th of Abib (12th of July): the martyrdom of Sts. Peter and Paul, the apostles.
3) 7th of Abib (14th of July): the departure of St. Shenouda (Shenoute), the archimandrite.
4) 8th of Abib (15th of July): the departure of St. Anba Bishoy the beloved of our Good Savior, and the departure of Cyrus (Karas) the anchorite.
5) 12th of Abib (19th of July): the commemoration of Archangel Michael.
6) 15th of Abib (22nd of July): the departure of St. Ephraem El-Soriani (the Syrian).
7) 16th of Abib (23rd of July): the recovery of the holy relics of St. George, the great martyr.
8) 21st of Abib (28th of July): the commemoration of the Lady, the Virgin Mary.
9) 24th of Abib (31st of July): the martyrdom of St. Apanoub of Nehisa.
10)25th of Abib (1st of August): the consecration of the church of St. Mercurius.
Our church is rich with its fathers and saints whom we learn from their spiritual lives, as the holy bible teaches us: “remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct (Heb13: 7).
The church will be celebrating the martyrdom of Sts. Peter and Paul (the apostles’ feast) on Thursday the 12th of July, with the divine mass which starts as always in this occasion by the prayers on the holy water (lakkan).
The church will also celebrate the feast of the consecration of the church of St. Mercurius, by praying vespers on Tuesday July 31st at 7:00 p.m. and divine mass on Wednesday 1st of August at 10:00 a.m.
For our church news; the paving of church parking lot is complete, which is the second project the high school has worked on so that it may be used as a playground this summer.
Please remember the church, the priest, the servants and their service always in your prayers and may the blessings of St. Mary and St. Mercurius and the blessing of the saints of this month be with us always.
Fr. Youssef Halim
Belleville, July 1, 2007